To make 12 of these beauties you will need:
175g brown muscovado sugar
200g self raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp mixed spice
zest and juice of 1 orange
150ml sunflower oil
200g grated carrots
For the icing:
100g soft butter
300g cream cheese (full fat)
100g icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
you will need a 12 hole muffin tin
1. Preheat your oven to 180c or gas mark 4 and line your muffin tin with cupcake cases. In a large bowl mix the flour, sugar, mixed spice, bicarb of soda and orange zest together.
2. Measure the oil in a jug and then whisk the two eggs into it. Add this mixture to your dry ingredients in the bowl and combine.
3. Add your grated carrot and orange juice and mix well (carrot cake mixture does not photograph well so I will spare you the off putting picture!)
4. Divide your mixture between the cases and bake for 20-22 minutes until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the cake.
5. Make sure your butter for your icing is super soft and then mix all the icing ingredients together. Your icing should look like this:
6. Once your cakes are completely cool, smooth your icing over the top using a knife. I then decorated my cupcakes with edible glitter (my new baking obsession!) and fondant carrots.
Happy baking xxx