Friday 28 June 2013

Fondant Carrot Cupcake Toppers

In my last post, carrot and cream cheese cupcakes, I promised I would show how to make the fondant carrots that I used to decorate my carrot cupcakes. These carrots are super cute and a great way to use any small spare bits of fondant that you have left over from a previous project. 



Firstly you need to use gel food colouring to colour some of your fondant orange and some green. Remember to keep any fondant that you are not currently working with wrapped in cling film so that it does not dry out. When working with fondant, if you do not have modelling tools (I am very excited because I just bought some for myself!) then keep a toothpick to hand to add fine details. 

Making fondant carrots is fairly simple. Begin by dividing the orange fondant into small balls, roll these balls into cone shapes. Whilst the orange fondant is still soft use the toothpick to mark horizontal lines across the cone and also to make a small hole at the top of the cone. Next use your green fondant to make tiny tear drop shapes. 



Dip the green tear drop into some edible glue (I use tylose powder) and insert into the hole made at the top of your orange cone. Leave to dry for a few minutes and then use your toothpick to mark horizontal lines in the green fondant in order to resemble leaves. Your fondant carrots should now hopefully look a bit like this: 


If you have been super organised and made your fondant carrots in advance then store in a cool dark place until you have made some delicious carrot cake that needs decorating.


Happy baking xxx

For more ideas for fondant cupcake toppers check out these fondant mortar boards

No comments:

Post a Comment